SciLor's Open Source Forums

Also visit my Website!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:48 am 
Hi, I have some ideas that could be a nice addition to the program.

Overwrite Control!
I tried downloading multiple copies of the same song, because I wanted to find the best version ASAP. But the songs were being overwritten! This isn't good at all. It should be renamed (1), (2) etc.

Drag and Drop:
I think it'd be a good idea to add drag and drop functionality, so you can drag songs into the download box.

Automatic Downloading:
An option to start downloads automatically after they enter the download list.

Better song selection features:
I'm used to holding CTRL to select multiple files, and SHIFT to select from point to point, double clicking to execute, mouse drag to select in a box, CTRL+A to select all, etc. These would all be useful features, and shouldn't interfere with anything.

Plus, you could probably remove the checkbox and simply use off/on highlighting instead.

Download statistics:
Stats about how fast the download is going, estimated time left, etc. maybe advanced HTTP header info.

Output file modified time:
The file that's saved to the Download folder should use the original Last Modified Date, as that would make it closer to the original file on the server, it's also useful, and harmless to the normal user.

Extra info for results (right click menu):
It'd be a nice feature to view info about the file, filesize, bitrate, length etc. Grooveshark has a bunch of useful parameters you can display at the same time as giving results. Also, HTTP raw header in the right click menu would be very nice too.
**Knowing the bit-rate before downloading would be an extremely useful feature. I don't think you can directly compute the bitrate without reading the mp3 file, but it's probably easy to estimate/guess the bitrate based on the filesize and song length, two variables that should be available in the search results or some other service lookup..
Well that's all I can think of.. I hope these ideas are useful.

Actually I'll just add more as I think of them,

search history in a drop down
It'd be nice to know what searches I've done in the past...

Bookmark-like feature
Save a songid for future downloading, maybe put it in a bookmark menu, and bold it in search results.

Stream Previewing
The ability to play the stream while downloading would be a useful feature.. not a full featured media player, just a simple player. maybe id3 tag reading as well, that'd be nice to be able to preview the ID3 tags.

Download Cancel
...And being able to cancel would be nice, if you don't like what you hear.

Column View, sorting
Columns are plain useful, you can sort artist, song alphabetically and stuff.

search by artist, album, etc
I think you should be able to search by artist, album and whatnot, just like Grooveshark does. and lookup the artist in the search results, and everywhere possible. something Grooveshark doesn't even do but is possible. the search results give id numbers, which can further be searched upon..

The Adswinger

Donated: Ad Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 pm 
The Developer

Donated:
Thank you for your extensive review of my software, I will see what can I implement :)

Like my work? Donate!

My Programs:
grooveshark™.com Downloader, GrooveMobile, Fuel Blaster, Chameleon TicTacToe, QuickTap, WiMoBlue, Driving Licence Trainer, CodeSnippetViewer, Gesture Launcher, Fahrplanauskunft, GSensor Control